The National Curriculum
The guide below explains about the new National Curriculum, introduced from September 2014, and which became statutory from 2015:
See the appropriate year group pages for Curriculum Overviews and Timetables relating to each class:
- Curriculum Topics Overview - 2019/20
- English Long Term Plan: Year 1
- English Long Term Plan: Year 2
- English Long Term Plan: Year 3
- English Long Term Plan: Year 4
- English Long Term Plan: Year 5
- English Long Term Plan: Year 6
- Maths Long Term Plan: Years 1 to 6
- Science Long Term Plan: Years 1 to 6
- French Long Term Plan: Years 3 to 6
- Geography Long Term Plan: Years 1 to 6
- History Long Term Plan: Years 1 to 6
We use Singapore Maths teaching/learning at St. Joseph's. Read more about this methodology below:
Our school uses Read Write Inc. Phonics for our children in Nursery to Year 2 and for our children in Years 3 and 4 who need to catch up.
The four Read Write Inc. programmes are carefully matched to the new curriculum, giving your children the best chance of success in the national tests. They show teachers, teaching assistants and parents step-by-step how to teach all children to become fluent readers, confident speakers and willing writers.
Read Write Inc. Phonics is used by over a quarter of the UK's primary schools. It is a comprehensive literacy programme, weaving decoding, comprehension, writing and spelling together seamlessly. Ruth Miskin developed the programme during her time as a headteacher in Tower Hamlets. She believes that in order for a school to be successful, every headteacher needs to adopt a consistent whole-school approach to teaching reading, writing and spelling. Fidelity to the teaching programme, rigorous assessment, tracking and one-to-one tutoring ensure that schools guarantee progress for every child.
For information and tutorials on how to support your child learning to read go to: www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents (external link).
The documents below aim to help parents/carers understand the Key Stage 1 and 2 national test assessment results: